In a world that gets harder and harder and where we the last couple of years have endured several global crises like the pandemic, financial issues and where climate- and environmental issues are probably the most severe of them all it has become more and more important to find ways to feel good. In Japan they created something called Shinrin-yoku, forest bath, in the eighties. It was created to cope with a stressful work life but it works just as well for other stress factors.
The book is the result of my visits and thoughts in various forests the last two years. Both in the vicinity of my home but also as far away as Mount Mgahinga
in Uganda’s mist covered Virunga mountains.
Two years ago Niklas released In the twilight zone, a book and photo exhibition that has been awarded multiple prices in international photo awards, with a total of nine prices. Niklas lives in Arnebo just outside Linköping in Sweden. With the forest just outside the door, this is where a lot of the image creation is done.
Preface written by Anders Geidemark
The preface is written by poetic nature photographer Anders Geidemark (in Swedish).
Ja, vad är det med Skog, som får oss neutraliserade, då vardagen skymmer vår glädje?
Ledsna, besvikna och frustrerade, får en vistelse i Skogen, oss balanserade.
Det är lätt att famla efter vetenskap; vi är som art uppväxta och formade i naturen,
och därför finner vi en trygghet och igenkänning, då vi kommer ”hem”, till Skogen.
Book release and exhibitions
The book is released during Östgötadagarna 2023, on September 2-3 at Galleri FOTOverket in Skeda loge just south of Linköping. At the release it’s also vernissage for the photo exhibition Shinrin-yoku. The book and exhibitions is also shown at these culture events:
- Vadstena konstrunda — 8-10 sep — Vadstena castle
- Culture night Norrköping — 29 sep – 1 okt — Galleri Sander, NP33, Norrköping
- Photo festival Spegla — 20-22 okt — Galleri Sander, NP33, Norrköping
- Artist talk at photo festival Spegla — 22 okt kl 12:00 — kulturkvarteret Hallarna, Norrköping
The exhibition at Galleri Sander is done under the name Forest bath in the twilight zone and includes images from the previous book In the twilight zone.
Award winning images
Among the images in the book are these award winners:
- Chimp Grooming – Silver — Black&White-Wildlife — New York Photography
- My turf – Silver — Nature-Wildlife — New York Photography Awards 2022
- Furry nature – Bronze — Creative nature image — Naturfoto-SM 2022
- Messy mood – Honorable mention — Fine Art — MonoVisions Awards 2023
- Destiny’s steed – Gold — Fine Art-Nature — European Photography Awards 2023
- Forest bath – Gold — Fine Art-People — European Photography Awards 2023
The book is available in two variants:
- Standard – olive green cover.
- Limited – moss green cover, numbered and signed limited edition of 100. Contains 2 Fine Art Prints 15×20 cm.
Buy the book
The book is available in the shop, with worldwide shipping.
A press kit is available for download with images and additional information as a pdf.